Sunday, September 1, 2013

Little Piggy's First Game

This weekend marked a huge milestone in the lives of all football fans (especially Razorback fans who marked the beginning of the Bret Bielema era), but none more special than Riley's first Hog game!  With temperatures soaring to 98 degrees and heat indices even higher, we cancelled the tailgate and headed straight for the game.  I decided to take Riley despite the heat because our seats are under the overhang, and I was prepared to jet out of there as soon as she seemed ready.  Ryan got his gameday walk on with Riley strapped to him.



The closer we got to to stadium, the uglier the looks got at our audacity to bring a baby in this heat.  I started letting it get to me, and it made me feel a little panicky.  But we trekked in, sat down under the overhang in the shade, and I turned the fan on her.  She was a little pink from the walk, but seemed okay.  But by the time the band was marching onto the field, I had decided I was going to high tail it out a few plays into the game.  At the first Hog call, Riley cried at the noise, and Ryan decided we were going to leave after the Hogs ran out.  We just couldn't handle the heat AND the noise AND the glares.  So Alli went to sit with her grandparents, and after her first flying A and a quick photo op, Riley exited Razorback stadium, missing her first Arkansas touchdown by mere minutes.


About thirty minutes later, our view looked like this:


Our friends Dave and Lindsey came over (they made it just a little longer than Riley did) and had pizza and watched the rest of the game in the AC with us.  And even though Riley's first game was a little bit of a bust, I still got these awesome pre-game pics.




These sweet pictures and a Hog win equals a victory in my book.  Woo pig, y'all!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sad that people looked at y'all like you were crazy to have a baby at the game!!! After I had Megan, we were not allowed to be seated at a restaurant b/c she was crying. Then, we were asked to sit in the back of a church we were visiting. It just makes me so sad that people are like that about newborn babies!!! We had G at a Cubs game when she was 3 months old. Addy will be at her first football game this weekend at 9 weeks old. People need to shove it. Don't let it get to you. (Though I totally get you heading home if it was too hot for her!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement, Elaine! I think everyone was staring because they thought it was too hot to have a baby there. It was pretty warm, but our seats are completely in the shade 100% of the time (under an overhang), and I brought a portable fan. I don't think I would have gotten so wound up if it weren't for the stares. Ryan was very encouraging until she started wailing at kickoff. We jetted out two plays in. I think we're going to give it a shot again in another few weeks when it cools off!! Good luck at the game with your girls this weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!