Saturday, February 22, 2014

Picture Day

Yesterday was spring picture day at Alli's school.  I knew she'd be doing a class picture and an individual picture, and I braced myself for the bi-annual fight.  You know, the one where I want her to wear a nice shirt and let me style her hair, and she wants to wear a t-shirt with her favorite cartoon character on it.  Just in case everyone couldn't tell by the fact that she draws them on everything she owns (and some things she doesn't own).

Friday morning dawned, and we were running late as usual.  I decided to forego the fight and allow Alli to wear whatever she wanted.  Here's how she left that morning:


And maybe a piece of me died a little, but another piece of me grew stronger when I watched her be exactly who she was that day.  I'm pretty confident that one day she'll look back on these pictures and say "Mooooooom, how could you let me wear that on picture day?"  Besides, it was only the spring picture and one class picture I reasoned.  It couldn't be that bad.

Then she walked in Friday afternoon and proclaimed, "I am the luckiest girl in the world!  I got to be in four pictures today - my regular picture, my class picture, my Green Team picture, and my honor choir picture!"  My mouth went dry and I swallowed hard.  "Good baby!"  Growth opportunity for yours truly.

Besides, you just have to let them be who they are.  Even if it isn't who you are.  Clearly I would be fighting a losing battle anyway.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!