Thursday, December 30, 2010

More Christmas Cheer

Again, I have to apologize for being so slow on blogtown this month.  Between a six year old's birthday party, a shower at my house for a bestie, three awesome holiday parties, a stomach virus, and Christmas itself, I've been a tad busy.

As I consider putting up the Christmas decorations tonight and tomorrow, I want to make sure I do give you the promised "Favorite Ornament" post.  Using the much-appreciated new Nikon S80 we got from Ryan's parents for Christmas, I've snapped a few photos of my favorite ornaments on our two trees. 


 This adorable Razorback ball is front and center on the formal tree in the living room.  This ornament was given to me by one of my closest friends Lindsey as a gift for throwing her a Christmas-themed bridal shower.  We had a great time!!  Lindsey's family and girlfriends came over to my house on a Sunday afternoon and showered her with new Christmas items for her house - ornaments, platters, bakeware, and a beautiful Nativity scene from her mom.  This ornament is a great reminder of that fun afternoon, and oh yeah, I kind of like the Razorbacks a little too.  Just a smidge.
 

 As we discussed in this post, reindeer are one of my favorite symbols of Christmas.  While I have several on our trees, this little guy is a particular favorite due to his snowy white color.  Who doesn't love a white ceramic animal? 

 
I suppose when my mom was growing up, one of her favorite Christmas symbols must've been the rocking horse - we have tons of them.  While there are quite a few on the tree, this one is my favorite.  I think it looks like a giant sugar cookie, and it's been hanging on the tree at home as long as I can remember.  I was so happy to see that Mom packed it up for me when she gave me my ornaments after Ryan and I got married.  Do not try to eat it.  Speaking from experience, it's better to look at it.
 

 If I showed you all of the ornaments my grandmother had given me, we'd be here until next Christmas.  This is one of my favorites - pink, shiny, fabulous. 


 The ornament on the top is just like one I bought for a Tri Delta Alumni ornament exchange last year.  The one on the bottom is the one I actually won.  "PEACE" - $2 in the bargain bin at Wal-Mart vs. my $15 leopard beauty.  I promptly went out to buy myself the leopard one.  But the PEACE has a very fond place in my heart - both Lindsey and I got craptastic ornaments after bringing gorgeous ones from Impressions.  Once we left, we died laughing in the car.  I mean laughing to the point of tears.  Who invited that kid?


 I made this little pretty in 1988 at the tender age of three.  I guess I had a flair for the dramatic and sparkly even then?

 These are three of the ornaments off of the formal tree that I love.  Christmas-colored zebra-inspired stripes?  Yes, please.  Weird flat polka dot ball?  Yes, please again.  And initial ornaments?  In heaven.


 I'm pretty sure I teared up and texted a picture of this ornament to my entire family when I found it in Alli's backpack after her first Christmas party.  I hope we have it for a long long long time!  I still have a picture of myself at kindergarten in a wreath on our fun tree, but this gem is the crown jewel of the formal living room tree.  Who can resist that face?


 I know I'm not the only child of the 80's who loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.  But don't tell me I'm the only one who still hangs this ornament on my tree!  It doesn't even have a place to hang it anymore, but I lovingly prop it in the tree year after year.

So that's a not-so-quick summary of just a few of my favorite ornaments.  Fair warning so you can get prepared:  I will probably be MIA for another week or so.  We're Sugar Bowl-bound next week and then I fly to Chicago for work.  Happy New Year!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!