Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I'm Big on Little Rock (Half Marathon Edition)

No really.  Call me crazy, but I love my hometown.  Sure, it's in the top 10 most dangerous cities in the country.  But I love me a good trip to the Rock Town.

We went down this past weekend because my amazing daddy was running in his first official half marathon.  He's supported me so much over my life - softball games, riding lessons, etc. - that there was no question in my mind that we needed to go support him.  He has run the distance before, almost exactly a year ago, but he did that on his own.  This time it was going to be official.

He's been struggling with some tendonitis in his heel, so I think he was a little nervous about how that would go, but he rested it pretty thoroughly leading up to the race and iced and stretched it a lot on Saturday.

Sunday morning was in the upper 20s or lower 30s, and we got up at 6:30AM to head downtown.  The race kicked off around the River Market, so we saw him off, and then headed quickly over to mile 1.  We held up the signs Alli made and cheered loudly the minute he passed.  Then we headed to Ashley's at the Capitol Hotel to eat breakfast.

Daddy spent the next portion of the race on the North Little Rock side of the river, so we wasted some time at breakfast and then went across the street to the Peabody Hotel.  The ducks weren't out yet, but Alli rode up to the 17th floor in the glass elevators no less than four times.  Mama only made it half of that time - yikes!!  Talk about queasy.

Once we had sufficiently wasted time and stayed warm, we tromped to the finish line.  We got to see one of my best friends Lara cross, and then a few minutes later - here came Daddy!!  It was so exciting to see him!!  He was exhausted after the half, understandably, and said he couldn't feel one of his feet, but he was so happy to have finished.  We found out later that his time was 2 hours, 13 minutes - I was so impressed!  One day I'll blog just about how wonderful my daddy is, but let me tell you.  You'll never find anyone more hardworking and dedicated.  I am so proud of him and all he has accomplished!!

Making signs for the Didster

Alli and Diddy before the race

Scenes from the race - doesn't he look so happy?
 Congratulations to my daddy - love you!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!