Thursday, June 20, 2013

Riley - Two Week Check-up

Sorry for the baby barrage - it's pretty much all I do or think about these days, so it's only fair that the blog reflect that!!

Today was Riley's two week checkup, and the whole point of the exam was to make sure that she had at least gained back her birth weight.  Then "above and beyond" goal was for her to gain an ounce per day from her last checkup (thirteen days ago).  Ryan and I cheated a little bit and weighed her a few nights ago, and she was at 8 lbs, 12 oz so we knew she'd at least beaten the primary goal of getting back to birth weight.  But today at the doctor, Riley Rachelle was an impressive 9 lbs, 3.5 oz - that's 18.5 oz in thirteen days! Dr. Ball gave us an A+ for weight gain!!

He said this means several things - one, my supply is there and two, Riley is good at getting what she needs.  And thirdly, this means we can start pushing her towards a schedule that works for us at night.  He said by the time he sees her next, she needs to be getting up only once at night, most likely around 2AM.  Since we are currently doing about every 2 hours at night (10PM, 12AM, 2AM...etc), I am so happy to hear that there's a light at the end of the tunnel and it's not that far away!!  Mama needs some sleep!!  It's also nice to be cleared by the doctor to push her into a schedule that works better for us as opposed to feeding on demand.

We also got to ask a few more questions about her acne (it's all over her face and it makes me so sad!) which he said would clear up on its own and not to worry about.  And I got to ask him about her going to the beach.  He said she'd be perfectly fine to spend some time on the beach, as long as we kept her shaded, cool, and covered (of course).  That was nice to have doctor approval for going to Destin in about three weeks and to know that I didn't need to spend the whole week watching the beach from the balcony.

So all in all a great doctor's visit for Riley Roo, topped off by a smile for Mama.  Melt. My. Heart.


2 comments:

  1. We used babywise with both of our girls, and it worked great for getting them on a schedule! I was more strict about it with G than I was with MC, but b/c I have to go back to work 8 weeks after Adalyn arrives, i'm going to be pretty strict about following it too! Here's to getting up once a night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You aren't the first person to recommend BabyWise, Elaine. I'll have to check it out. I need more sleep.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!