Wednesday, August 25, 2010

I don't know at what point you're actually a "runner" but...

So I gave in to peer pressure.  I picked up a habit I said I'd never get. 

Yes, I started running.  I know, you think I'm crazy.  But everyone, and I mean EVERYONE around me runs.  All my life I have been much more of a walker.  I like to walk the dogs, I like to walk to the fridge, I like to walk at the mall.  However, come spring, the elliptical was not cutting it in my quest to get swimsuit ready for the annual family trek to the beach.

So I very quietly began running.  I started very slowly, 1.5 miles was my long run.  My average pace was about 12 minutes.  And I hated every living second.  I really only talked to close friends and my dad about it.  Through my running, my dad, who used to run a bit when I was younger, picked the habit back up as well.

It all started really slow.  I ran in my regular old tennis shoes, my old softball shorts, and t-shirts.  And then I discovered a new type of shopping:
A whole world of pink I never even knew existed!!  One pair of hot pink Nike Tempo shorts and I was hooked.  Pretty soon I was at Fleet Feet getting fitted for shoes and running in 5ks.  And the weight started falling off.  And so did my bank account as I kept adding Nike gear - one pair of shorts isn't enough when you run 4 times a week.  Or like pink this much. 

And no matter what anyone tells you, the clothes and shoes make a huge difference.  You cotton t-shirt wearers can tell me mockingly that I "look like a pro" as much as you want, but I promise you wish you had on Dri-Fit. 

And now I'm up to nearly 6 miles a week in my long runs, am about 10 lbs lighter (YES!), and am training with Ryan for the Dallas White Rock Half Marathon in December.  And as for my dad?  He's lost over 20 lbs and is still going strong.  We all plan to run the Little Rock Half together next March. 

Your key takeaway from this post should be that anyone, and I mean anyone can start running if I can.  There are definitely days I hate it, but I love the results and the way it makes me feel.  I'll keep you all updated on my progress - hopefully in December I'll have a victory post!  Or I'll confirm that I am actually crazy for thinking I can run for two hours straight.

2 comments:

  1. I am pumped about Dallas! I'll be slow but I'll get those miles done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes you will!! We will rock it!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!