Sunday, August 29, 2010

Things I Suck at: Finishing a Room

I hope this does not be come a new segment here on the Lowe Down, but here's how I'm feeling:  I stink at home decorating.

I'm really good with picking a paint, painting the room, getting the big stuff like bedspreads, art, couches, etc. done.  It might not be a universal taste, but I do have taste and can be true to myself when starting a room.  However, once the big art is on the wall, the linens are on the bed, the shelves are hung...I lose steam.  Every.  Single.  Time.  The finishing things in a room are what make the room special to me.  They make a space feel full and "done" rather than "college kid just moved in."

This is the part I stink at.

Case in point:
Shelves in master bedroom
I got a great start on these shelves in our master bedroom.  These doves were a steal at Arty Crafty ($11 for the set) that I got for our dresser several months ago, but once they got replaced by a bigger ceramic animal on our dresser, I knew they would go well on a shelf somewhere (a story for another post).  I found the shelves in black at Bed Bath and Beyond and spray painted them a nice antique white.  The vases I collected as I went from various home decor stores, and the topiary was another Arty Crafty aquisition.  But now, I'm stumped.  I need one or two more things on that bottom shelf and I can't for the life of me figure out what needs to go there.  Picture?  Canvas?  Vases?  I keep thinking I'll know it when I see it, but so far, nothing.

Shelf in the master bedroom
Another case in point.  This shelf in our master bedroom actually looks pretty done with a vase, candles, art, and picture of the princess on it.  However, look at all of that glaring wall space underneath it!!  I need some kind of bench with pillows on it to go under there, but I haven't found the perfect bench for the perfect price yet. 

And finally:
End table in living room

Nope, I'm not ready to fully reveal the new living room to you yet - and here's why:  Finishing.  There are about three areas of the wall and both end tables that need that special pop to make our living room complete.  I promise I'm not going for a minimalist look here, I just can't find the right final touches.  Right now it looks like "oh wow, you're getting there!" but I'm ready for it to look like "oh wow! it's done!"  That could be never.  When is a room really complete anyway?

I'll gladly take thoughts and suggestions if you have any ideas for the spaces in the pictures I've shown you!

4 comments:

  1. Ok... since i actually have experience in this area now that i have a home!

    Space #1
    Stagger the shelves just a smidge. Maybe move the other bird and vases to the bottom shelf and add a picture with stand to the top left.

    Space #2
    Maybe find a small table long and narrow and place the items from the shelf onto the tables and move the shelf. it will give a little more space between the picture and the items that look awesome together!

    Space #3
    Change the lamp shade to a darker color and maybe crackle paint the lamp with a cream or light beige. I think it looks great otherwise especially with the large painting over the couch. You don't need much!

    Hope this helps! Love you and miss you lots. We have got to catch up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas, cuz! Hope you and Chris are doing well, we definitely need to catch up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lauren,
    You might try putting 3 little succulents in white pots along the bottom shelf in photo #1. I love succulents because they're super cute and really hard to kill :) Here are a couple John and Sherry have @ their place:

    http://www.younghouselove.com/2009/05/basket-repurposing-edible-decor/

    I picked up three at Lowe's a couple weeks ago for 99 cents each, so they're cheap too!

    P.S. Your house is looking great!
    Mer @ Welcome to Heardmont

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mer - that's a great idea!! I'd also thought about Pellegrino bottles or wine bottles (empty of course).

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!