Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Catching Up - Part Uno

Oh, friends.  It has been such a month, I don't even know where to begin.  I think I might break this post into a few separate posts so that it's not so long and drawn out.  I know you all know what this is building up to, but it's cathartic for me to relive the past month a bit, so kindly bear with.

Several weeks ago, we headed down to Little Rock to see my grandfather before his major surgery.  I didn't mention it in this post, but Pawpaw was diagnosed with bladder cancer a few months ago and had not been responding to treatment, so he made the rather difficult and radical decision to have his bladder removed.  My mother, aunts, grandmother, and he were headed out the next week to drive to Nashville for the procedure.  Knowing it is a very major surgery, I wanted to head down beforehand and wish him luck.

Saturday morning we got up early and took donuts over to Nini and Pawpaw's.  We visited, laughed, listened to stories, and did the puzzle in the paper.  Afterwards, Ryan, Alli, Mom, Daddy and I went to the zoo.  It was hot, but we had so much fun.  Alli guided us around with the map the entire time.

Put that gorilla back in its cage!!



Tour guide

Wondering just how old this turtle is...


After that, my aunt Emily flew into town and we spent the evening at my grandparents' - more laughing, more stories, and more fun.  The hard part was seeing the pain that my grandfather was in.  He was very thin, unable to move his leg, and hardly able to walk.  I left Little Rock very happy that I had seen him but very worried about him.

The next week, Alli graduated from first grade.  I am so proud of my little bitty, and I cannot believe that she is going to be a second grader!!!


We made plans to go Nashville the next weekend to see Pawpaw after his surgery, but on Thursday surgery was postponed due to some bloodwork that they ran.  Dad and I decided to go anyway, and I am oh so glad we did.  I spent so much wonderful time with my Pawpaw, wheeling him around the Country Music Hall of Fame, listening to music, and enjoying each others' company.

Packing for Nashville - Lola wanted to come!!


Alli grubbing at the Pancake Pantry
 While we were at the Country Music Hall of Fame, Pawpaw and I spent a lot of time together, because  our love of that music was something we shared.  When we were done with one floor and waiting on everyone, he leaned over to me and said "You know, I am going to ask for my money back if they don't show us a little Waylon."  I said "Well, maybe he's on this last floor.  Do you want me to go get everyone and tell them you're ready to move on?"  He said, "No, let's just go on.  We need to find Waylon."  So we hopped onto the elevator, left everyone (thanks for babysitting, cousins!!), and as soon as we got off the elevator, low and behold...


A moment I'll treasure forever.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!