Monday, October 14, 2013

The Small Stuff

I woke up at 5:30 this morning to a crying baby, starting another week of work a little earlier than I wanted to.  In order to keep my groggy brain awake while Riley ate, I hopped on Twitter to read tweets about last night's sports and celebrity gossip.  What I got instead was something that changed my entire outlook today.
Enjoy the little things, because one day you might look back and realize they were big things.
This simple little quote got me reconsidering everything about my day - the menial tasks, the simple routine, the minor events that all come together to comprise "just another day."  We all know to appreciate Christmas, weddings, the birth of a baby, vacations, and buying a new house.  This quote is a reminder that the little things that happen can be big things too.

As the mom of a young baby and a big kid, I'm all too aware that this time is fleeting.  Before you know it, your baby is a third grader with a sassy mouth and a mind of her own.  And then she is borrowing your car, and then you're taking her to college.  And then she has her own kids and her own house and...oh my gosh I'm going to cry.  Without further ado, here are some of the "little things" I'm appreciating right now:
  • Riley's belly laugh while Alli spins in circles in front of her
  • Decorating for Halloween, Alli's favorite holiday

  • Dinner at the table with the entire family followed by a game of Sorry with everyone trying to take down Ryan
  • Homework and helping Alli grow and develop as a student
  • Evenings watching TV on the couch with Ryan after the kids go to bed
  • Our walks as a family, which always stop short at someone in the neighborhood's house where we chat as the kids play until Riley declares she's had enough
  • Alli wearing her Ninja Turtle pajamas three nights in a row before I could wash them

    • Days where I look back and wonder what we did all day, and when I'm honest I realize the answer was "just watched football"
    • Alli asking for cookies after dinner every night and me wondering why I can't lose weight when I eat them with her
    • Riley being big enough to sit in her exersaucer
    • Landry jumping onto the couch right where you were sitting when you get up to go to the bathroom or get a drink
    • Riley screaming excitedly and then burying her face in my chest
    • Alli's elementary school fundraisers, including the Boosterthon Fun Run and being able to be there to cheer her on
    • Alli picking out outfits to wear to school that make me cringe, but I let her wear them anyway
    • Riley not being old enough to have an opinion on what she wears
    • Cash coming running every time I get ice
    • Riley rolling over and not being too sure what just happened
    • Staying up until 2AM with my mom playing "Guess That Tune"
    • Alli asking me to take pictures of her toys and text them to people
    •  Alli quoting whatever movie or show she's watched recently over and over until you have to tell her to stop
    • Ryan putting Riley to sleep every night after I feed her
    • Snuggling with Riley
    • Alli singing at the top of her lungs in the backseat of the car
    • Riley grabbing everything within arm's reach and immediately bringing it to her mouth
    • Hearing Riley cry on the monitor, and shortly thereafter hearing Alli on the monitor saying "It's okay, don't cry!"
    • Football games with most of the family on Dad's birthday eve

    I'm going to make it my goal to reflect on this quote more and make sure I'm really appreciating the little things in life that form themselves into major memories.  Each stage of life is so short - it's time to appreciate the process.  Have a wonderful week!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!