Monday, December 9, 2013

Giving Thanks

For the second year in a row, my family came up to Fayetteville to spend my favorite holiday with us here.  I am so happy to get to host a major holiday in my home and to have everyone pile in at my house.  I didn't realize when I was younger how much that meant to my parents.  It's a big deal.

Nini, Daddy, Mama, and John headed up Tuesday night and got here about 15 minutes after Lindsey and I finished our Thanksgiving shopping.  Mom had just landed the night before from a two week trip to Romania, so I know she was worn out.  But we spent most of the next day baking and prepping.




Dad made his world-famous pumpkin cheesecake.  Why do I have to wait a year for those?  We also baked pies, we planned our schedule for the next day, and we checked and rechecked ingredients.  Man, it's a lot of pressure to be the one responsible for the grocery shopping!  Did I get enough?  Did I get the right brand?  Did I overlook anything?

Alli and Diddy took ownership of making Grandmama's pies.  I miss my grandparents all the time, but never more than at the holidays.  I'm proud that Alli is able to carry on the tradition with her grandfather.



And thank goodness Nini was there to set Mom straight on how to make pie crust.  No one is more skilled at that than she!


Aunt Sister and Karen came in Wednesday night and brought a few Thanksgiving essentials that my family had overlooked in their packing madness.  The next day we ladies scrambled to mix up our casseroles and dressings and to plan the baking schedule.  The boys thought they had it a lot harder thought - turkey duty is serious business.

I said "Football pose" and they all knew what to do.  Even John Patrick.
 Riley had an especially good first Thanksgiving, even though she couldn't eat any of the food.  She just loves being surrounded by family.  And her bouncy chair.




It was madness for the last thirty minutes or so, but the turkey got cooked, the casseroles got done, the rolls browned, and the Cowboys won.  If that ain't Thanksgiving success, I don't know what is.

Admiring their handiwork while carving

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!