Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Destin Diary: Vacation Day 3

After all of the fun yesterday Alli got a little pink, so we knew it was the perfect opportunity to skip the beach this morning and keep her out of the sun.  The day started before 7AM when my mom came in with her annoying "Get up, it's morning!" voice telling us it was time to get to the Donut Hole.  [I love you, Mom, but your wake up voice is worse than an alarm clock.  Sometimes I still have flashbacks of that song you used to sing - "Good morning, good morning, good morning, it's time to rise and shine..."  Shudder.]  I scrambled up - it's no secret I love donuts - and went out on the balcony to see the first dolphins of the trip.  We've been waiting a few days for them and they finally showed up this morning!

Then Mom, Ryan, Alli, Lindsey and I headed to the Donut Hole where I had quite possibly the most perfect donut ever invented:  The Chocolate Angel.  A delightful confection covered in powdered sugar and filled with chocolate icing?  Yes ma'am.  We topped it off with some eggs and coffee, and I was a happy girl.

After that, we went back to the condo to pick up the rest of the family and we headed for The Gulfarium in Fort Walton.  We went there the first year we came to Destin, but we haven't been since.  It underwent major renovations this year and Alli is a little older, so we figured it was time to head back.  We were immediately greeted by photographers who took a group shot of us, and then we met a bird named Nibbler who was especially fond of Ryan the bird whisperer.


I also got a little one on one time with Nibbler, which was momentous as I am deathly afraid of birds.  I am a woman of very few weaknesses, but my fear of birds and love of donuts are two of them.  Birds are soulless, winged henchmen of Satan.  You can't tell what they are thinking.  However, I held Nibbler on my finger and even let her nibble me.  Maybe she wasn't so bad.

How stressed am I?
The minute you walk into the Gulfarium, you run right into the dolphin tank.  Oh happy day - I'm pretty sure we all know I love love love dolphins. We watched them from underwater viewing windows and then got a seat for the show.  The Gulfarium is no Sea World, but they had a pretty cute little show which Alli really enjoyed (I did too, I won't lie to you).  I'm not a huge fan of animals in captivity, but I think if it helps people to learn about them and appreciate them, it can be a good thing.  Plus, Delilah, Sebastian, and Lily were super cute and playful - lots of fun to watch.





The view from the dolphin tank was amazing.  You could see the pier and the ocean.  I don't think I'd ever get tired of looking out and seeing that water.


After that, we saw sea lions and got our picture made with one named Lola (I miss my Lola, sniff sniff).  We got copies of that, so I hope to scan and upload it at some point.   We also saw some really cute otters who looked like kittens playing, some rescued sea turtles, and manta rays.

After the Gulfarium, we stopped to pick up more shrimp for the seafood lovers (everyone but me and Alli, unless incorporated into pasta or bisque), and then Alli and Ryan hung up into the condo watching movies.  I think it was the perfect call for Alli to stay out of the sun today so she's in full form tomorrow.  Mom, Dad, Lindsey, John and I hit the beach.  I got a little annoyed when I was sleeping on my towel and someone started blaring music on a boom box next to me.  Yes, we're one of those weird families who like to sit on the beach and enjoy the ocean.  I don't want your loud talking, your cigarettes, or your music interrupting that (I'm glaring at you, vacationers in the Redneck Riviera).  So Mom, Lindsey and I went on a walk looking for more secluded beaches we could relax on next year.  We went pretty far, so by the time we came back the chairs were almost completely put up.  Lindsey and I swam in the ocean for a long time, and then the rain started so we headed up.

Waterspout over the ocean
Tonight is our annual breakfast-for-dinner known as SupFast.  It's one of the few nights we hang in.  I'm looking forward to pancakes, wine, and a rousing round of cards with some of my favorite people.  Happy halfway point!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!