Monday, July 8, 2013

Destin Diary 2013: Vacation Day 1

Can you believe it's already time for our annual pilgrimage to the beach?  And yet again, as the official family scribe, I will document our time here so that one day, a long time from now, I can confidently say to my children, "Yes, dears, you've been to the beach.  And you had a marvelous time."

So day one really spans about three days this year, because vacation kicked off on Friday.  We loaded up our matching white Honda Pilots (like some military convoy, I think Ryan secretly loves that) and journeyed to Ruston where my aunt lives.  My grandmother has been staying there for a few weeks, so it was the perfect time to go visit, see my aunt's beautiful house, and let Riley Rachelle meet more family.  I was pretty nervous about elevenish hours in the car with a newborn - so much so that I boldly declared Thursday that I would not be going, that I could not possibly enjoy a week of being around my family in paradise with a new addition.  Fortunately, someone (everyone) convinced me that a week at the beach with a baby, even in the condo, is still a week at the beach.

So out we set for Ruston, and three hours in the car were surprisingly easy.  Riley slept most of the way and was easily pacified with a bottle or some music...kid loves Waylon.  I don't raise dummies.  We spent the evening with our family, letting Riley meet Emma Grace, visiting Champ (Lisa's horse), and seeing Lisa's new house.  I haven't been to Ruston since 2005, so there was a lot on the to do list.



The next morning, we set out for Destin.  I was really nervous about the trip down, but the Riley Roo was a real champ.  She ate a few bottles, fussed about thirty minutes total in eight hours, and slept a ton.    The trip was completely uneventful, which is a good thing.  Destin had had some pretty intense rain and storms for the days before we arrived, but the minute the Holloway-Lowes rolled into town, the clouds parted and the vacation gods smiled.

We are staying in a new condo this year, forgoing our four year home away from home at Breakers East for a three bedroom unit at Oceania.  Oceania is on Holiday Isle, which is a little more secluded than Breakers.  The beach is definitely less busy.  We were all feeling a little sad about not being at our place, but I think the extra space with a newborn was definitely the right call.  Ryan, Lindsey, and Mom went to the Winn-Dixie across the street to stock up on groceries, and Mom and I made her delicious corn and crab bisque while Ryan and Dad ate shrimp from Blalock's.

Actual vacation day one dawned cloudy and cool, with murky water and intense surf.  Did that stop seasoned beachgoers like us?  No way.  We hit the ocean (shortly after one of us spotted a dolphin off the balcony and no one believed us) and didn't stop.  We had a Riley rotation going all day long so that this mama got her sunshine, too.  So lucky to travel with people who love me...or love my kids.  I am not going to think too hard about that.

Alli continues to amaze me every year with how game she is for the beach.  We haven't seen surf this intense in our trips to the beach, but she spent the entire day diving in.  The ocean claimed her goggles and once she was slammed by a particularly large wave that took her boogie board out from under her. Alli hopped up, wiped her eyes, and attempted to grab her board.  When the ocean kept slamming her, she held her hand up to it to tell it to hold on.  We almost expected the wave to part for her, but the ocean is relentless, isn't it?  Every time a wave took her down, she hopped up and gave a thumbs up and declared it "Awesome."


We've decided this year that we aren't going to go out to eat too much thanks to Miss Riley, so last night we ate leftovers and watched a movie.  And then Riley snoozed for two hours on the patio.  She kept trying to wake up, but every time she did, the sea lulled her back to sleep.  How do I keep producing children that love the ocean so much?  It must be hereditary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!