Wednesday, March 30, 2011

My Top Ten Songs...right now

Though I am in no way muscially gifted, I am deeply in love with music.  If I lost my iPod, I think I would fall off the face of the earth.  And so, I believe I will list my top ten favorite songs right now.  I get on kicks and listen to certain types of music for periods of time, especially as they relate to my life at that point in time.  So at any given time this list fluxuates.  Some of these rotate off, some are permanent fixtures.  You get the idea.   I'll include some of the lyrics I like in each song - I'm ALL about lyrics.

10. More Than a Memory - Garth Brooks I stumbled upon the video for this song a few years ago flipping channels. Garth Brooks is always so good, and this is him at his best. "You're talking out loud, but nobody's there. You look like hell and you just don't care. Drinking more than you ever drank, sinking down lower than you ever sank."

9. Me and Bobby McGee - Janis Joplin This is one of the permanent ones. Written by one of the most gifted songwriters alive - Kris Kristofferson - and performed by everyone from Waylon to Janis...this song is a classic about rambling hippies and love lost. "Freedom's just another word for nothin' left to lose. And nothin' don't mean nothin', hon, if it ain't free."

8. Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers Oh how I adore RHCP - and not just because Anthony Kiedis is a babe (okay, I am realizing I have a thing for rock stars. This would have been good to know several years ago). I think this song embodies who I wish I could be sometimes - a rebellious, free spirit. "She's a lover, baby and a fighter. Should have seen it coming when it got a little brighter. With a name like Dani California, day was gonna come when I was gonna mourn ya.

7. A Pirate Looks at Forty - Jimmy Buffett Really a great great Jimmy Buffett song - enough of that beachy vibe to make me wish I was back in Destin, but not so much fluff that the meaning is lost. "Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunder there's nothing to plunder, I'm an over forty victim of fate."

6. Life Goes On - 2Pac My favorite rapper of all time in one of his best performances. 2Pac was a lyricist and poet like no rapper before him and no rapper since. And he's not dead, I swear. "Though memories fade, I got your name tatted on my arm so we both ball til my dying days." I am so hood.

5. Sweet Emotion - Aerosmith There's absolutely nothing in this world like the raw 70s rock that permeates from Sweet E. I feel like I'm at a concert every time I hear it. "Talkin' bout things and nobody cares. Wearin' out things that nobody wears."

4. Revelry - King of Leon I don't think this band can do much wrong in my eyes. My sister introduced them to me about a year ago, and it's been a love affair ever since. "In the dark of the night I could hear you calling my name. With the hardest of hearts I still feel full of pain. So I drink and I smoke and I ask if you're ever around. Even though it was me who drove us right in the ground."

3. Maps - Yeah Yeah Yeahs A little out of character for your girl, but roll with me. I love the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and this song is one of their best, although Runaway is a close second. "Pack up, I'm straight. Enough, oh stay stay stay. Wait, they don't love you like I love you."

2. Beast of Burden - Rolling Stones No list of music I love would be complete without this gem. Nobody does it like the Stones. I remember my parents dancing around the living room to this song when I was little. It has taken me about 10 years of listening to this song to truly appreciate it. "There's one thing, baby, I don't understand. You keep on telling me I ain't your kind of man. Ain't I rough enough? Ain't I tough enough? Ain't I rich enough to love you right?" Yes, Mick Jagger, you are.

1. Crazy - Aerosmith You didn't think you'd get out of my top 10 with just one Aerosmith song did you? This one is my all time favorite. Love, love, love. "Girl, you've been givin' me that line so many times it kind gets like feeling bad looks good."

What are you listening to these days?  Would any of these make your list?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!