Saturday, December 15, 2012

Hey Rudolph, C'mon and Guide My Sleigh

In light of the terrible events of yesterday at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, CT I, like you, am grieving for the families who lost their little ones and full of sadness for the images burned into the minds of the survivors.  I prayed constantly yesterday and made sure to give my elementary schooler an extra hug.  It feels trivial to continue on with my everyday life and especially challenging to continue to discuss Christmas, but I do feel like I lost the spirit yesterday, and I need to get it back for my own babes.  

Overall, I've been in the Christmas Spirit in a major way this year.  The tree was up Thanksgiving weekend, the shopping was halfway done on December 1st, and Alli and I have been blaring Christmas music on the way to school and work.  Letting Pandora shuffle through every Christmas song I know and even some I don't got me thinking - what are my all time favorite Christmas songs?  Some are really obvious, and some aren't.  Here's who makes the cut:
  • All I Want For Christmas is You - Mariah Carey - I never paid a lot of attention to this song in my childhood, but when I was in ninth grade, our school cheerleading and dance teams collaborated for a basketball halftime show dance to this very song.  We wore Santa hats, black dance pants, red tank tops, white button-up shirts and held giant candy canes.  It.  Was.  Awesome.  To this day I can still do some of the dance, much to the delight of my family and friends (I assume). This song now holds a very special memory for me, and it's a must-play every year.
  • Santa Baby - Eartha Kitt - I'd never heard a woman actually purr while singing, but Earth Kitt can do it.  I've loved this song since my parents got it on Greatest Hits of Christmas album.  What girl doesn't ask Santa for a yacht, decorations from Tiffany's, and a light blue convertible?
  • Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer - If I haven't said it before, and I know I have a million times, I love reindeer.  This was always my favorite song growing up, and not just because I liked to throw in "like a lightbulb" and "like Monopoly" when given the chance.  A tradition in our family is watching Claymation Christmas, which ends with the best version of this song by the California Raisins.  Click below, and you're welcome.
  • Oh Holy Night - If I could sing for just one song, I would choose this song (If I got two, I would add "I Will Always Love You").  It just the most beautiful song about Christ's birth, and it moves me to tears every single time.  Rest assured, I belt it out when given the chance - I just wish it sounded better.  Make a joyful noise, right?
I'm laying in bed with my little family while I write this post, and they want me to be sure and mention their favorite Christmas songs too.  Alli says hers is "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" by Justin Bieber, but I'm pretty sure she likes the version by the original Biebs, the Jackson 5.  Ryan's favorite is White Christmas by Bing Crosby, but for fun's sake, here's the version by the Drifters that my grandfather was obsessed with: 

I feel terrible for leaving "I'll be Home for Christmas," "Baby It's Cold Outside," and "Please Come Home For Christmas" off of this list, but please consider them honorable mentions.  What are your favorites?

2 comments:

  1. Every time I hear that song I replay the dance in my head. We wore our black skirts, white shirts, a red ribbon belt, and santa hats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know!! It was such a fun dance...I can't hear that song without doing the dance!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!