Sunday, December 30, 2012

Snow Day in the Rock

Like I mentioned in this post about how we spent Christmas, it started snowing in Little Rock on Christmas night.  When I was posting about it, it was coming down pretty hard and the National Weather Service issued blizzard warnings.  Tons of my family and friends were powerless Christmas night, but the Holloway house is rarely without power, so we spent the evening by the fire watching The Preacher's Wife and playing with our gadgets.  I got a little stressed about how on earth we were going to get back up the hill to Fayetteville the next day, but Ryan kept telling me not to worry, we'd figure it out tomorrow (his life's motto, he's like Scarlett O'Hara or something).

The next morning we got up, peeked outside, and decided we'd better go ahead and let our bosses know we weren't going to make it home for work on Thursday.  I told my boss it was around six inches.  I went downstairs, and my parents informed me that it was actually ten inches.  The only time I've ever seen snow like that is when we got eighteen inches two years ago in Fayetteville.  We definitely made the right call to stay in!

My brother hiked to Wal-Mart that morning, only to find that it wasn't even open.  Wal-Mart not open the day after Christmas?  Cue apocalypse.  Alli sprang out of bed ready to play in the snow, and our whole family was actually pretty eager to sled down the massive hill my parents live on.  Seriously, I get out of breath walking up this thing, and that was in high school!  So we got out my great uncle's sled (which makes it 62 years old...wowza!) and trudged to the hill.  Fortunately, some neighbors had already been out that morning and offered us their sleds while they went in to warm up, so everyone had one to use.  I was so excited to use my new camera, since I'm not allowed to sled (boooo).  I am pleased to show you some awesome shots.







Domination








No sledding for this preggo!

Daddy riding Jed the Sled 

Afterwards, we warmed up and played a ton of card games, including Spoons and I Doubt It (our kid-friendly version of Bullsh**).  We taught Alli I Doubt It and it took her a few rounds to pick up the concept.  At one point, we said "Tell a story when you lay down the cards."  For her next hand, she laid down three cards and said "I went to the beach..." Hilarious.  And from then on, instead of yelling "I doubt it!" when people were bluffing, we started saying "You're going to the beach!"



So much fun, and a spot-on perfect way to end our holiday week with the family.

Emmett snoozing

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!