Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Looking Back on 2012

Can you believe we had 73 posts in 2012?  That's a new record at the Lowe Down, almost 1.4 posts per week!  I would like to get closer to 2 posts per week, but we'll get to 2013 goals in another post.  In this one, I'd like to reflect on some of the bigger things that happened with us Lowes in 2012.
  • Places We Traveled:  In addition to our annual jaunt to Destin, FL with my family, we were regular Southeastern Conference trotters this year.  We went to College Station, TX and Starkville, MS for Razorback games.  For Spring Break, we took Alli to Branson, MO, for the first time to experience Silver Dollar City.  We also spent a weekend in Nashville, TN with my grandfather right before he passed away - a very special time for me.  Ryan went to Ft. Smith for the wedding of a best friend, and we of course made countless trips to Little Rock to see our family.

  • Homes We Bought:  There's just one to list here, thank goodness.  We spent the majority of the year looking at older homes downtown, as I have a noted fixation with all that is old and was hankering to redo a pre-1940s charmer.  Ryan was hesitant but willing, but eventually we had the come-to-your-senses discussion and decided that we needed more space before we needed more projects.  We rented our first home and bought a bigger new construction close by.  I have to say, it's probably one of our better decisions.  Space reduces stress, people.  The new house also afforded us the ability to host Thanksgiving with 16 people here, a wonderful memory in a new place.
  • People We Lost:  I'm sad that this even has to be a section in our year-in-review, but our family lost two members this year.  First, in April, we lost my dad's mother Grandmama.  She had been in and out of the hospital for much of the year up until that point, but that doesn't make anything easier.  I did drive down on a Wednesday with Lindsey to spend the day with her about two days before she passed away, and that's a memory I'll cherish forever.  Then in June, my mother's father Pawpaw died from complications following surgery to remove his bladder due to cancer.  His death was a huge surprise and a blow to the entire family.  A week before his surgery, Alli, my dad, and I joined the family in Nashville, TN where he was having his procedure and we spent the weekend with him.  I wheeled him around the Country Music Hall of Fame, and that again is a time I'll never forget.

  • Things Alli Did:  Where to begin?  Alli had yet another banner year, riding in horse shows, having a dance recital, graduating first grade and starting second, turning eight, and losing a ton of teeth.  She's continued to grow into one of the most beautiful, strong, confident, and kind people I've ever met.


  • Concerts We Attended:  Ryan and I went with some friends this year to see Hank Williams, Jr. for our second time, which was a ton of fun.  When I was standing in the wine line, however, I heard a distinctive riff, followed by "Wanna get to Heaven gotta D-I-E, you gotta put on your coat and T-I-E..." I whirled around and had my first encounter with Jamey Johnson (singing Waylon).  So began a new musical love affair.  But more importantly, Aerosmith came to Fayetteville.  And I went.  Scream.  
  • Childhoods We Relived:  For my birthday this year, Ryan and my mom shocked me with riding lessons!  I spent the next several months (before we found out about our big news) riding every single Sunday.  I fell in love with the sport all over again and my new companion Freedom as well.  It was a wonderful stress reliever and the happiest I've been in a long time.


  • Family Members We're Adding:  In losing two people this year, our family has also been blessed with news of upcoming additions.  My cousin Lisa is due this month with her first baby, a little girl named Emma Grace.  And eight years after Alli, we Lowes also got to share the wonderful news that we are having a baby due in May.  No one is more excited than big sister!!

So there's the Lowe Down on our 2012.  It was a wonderful, terrible year filled with extremes on both ends.  Here's hoping 2013 is filled with just as much love, family, and blessings and a little less heartache.  Happy New Year!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!