Sunday, January 6, 2013

Maternity Clothes

I tend to shy away from words like "maternal."  Society has made "matronly," "maternal," and "maternity" into bad words - synonyms with "old," "frumpy," and "boring."  Not something you want to be called at any stage in your life.  So buying clothes with this moniker isn't exactly appealing.  Plus, who wants to spend money on clothes that you're only going to wear for half a year?  I can barely keep up with my normal wardrobe.

But after nearly a month of being pretty darn uncomfortable in my work slacks and jeans, Ryan finally convinced me that it was time to go.  We had a free weekend last weekend sans Alli (she was staying in Little Rock with her Tata), so we headed out to the three or four places in all of northwest Arkansas that sell clothes for the ladies with babies on board.

The first stop was Two Chic in Fayetteville by Party City.  It's a really small store with a lot in it, so it was hard to look at.  Plus, everything was $60, $80, or $100.  Not really how I wanted to spend my budget - a dress and some leggings and I'm done?  We didn't spend long in there - long enough for me to try on some Citizen jeans, exclaim over how comfortable they were, try on the prosthetic belly they put in the changing rooms, and boldly proclaim to Ryan that we didn't need to spend this kind of money.

Next we headed to Motherhood Maternity (two bad words in one store name, help) in Rogers.  This place was not my style at all.  The clothes felt cheap and truly frumpy.  I got very discouraged, and even pitched a mini-fit over the a w f u l jeans they had.  Near tears, I agreed to purchase two pairs of work slacks in black and grey, one terrible pair of horrendous jeans, and a pair of leggings.  I was done shopping for maternal clothing, I announced to Ryan.  It was humiliating, demeaning, and depressing.  And I was done.

Next we stopped by Belle Boutique in Rogers to spend a giftcard.  I got a cute, comfy Piko tunic (which is longer than the Piko shirts I usually wear) to go with my new leggings.  I was still pitching a fit while we headed south to Fayetteville.  Ryan then began dialing on his phone and pulled up Masons, one of my fave women's clothing boutiques in Fayetteville.  "Yes, do you have maternity jeans?  And what time do you close?  Thank you."  He was headed to Masons.  Fit over.

The minute we walked in, they greeted us (these other stores besides Belle need some help on their customer service.  I'm sensitive and pregnant and shopping for elastic waistband pants.  Be nice.).  They took me right back to the "special" jeans for "special cute pregnant girls!"  Their words, not mine.  But it worked, and I bought it.  Hook, line, and sinker.  Thirty minutes later, I walked out with a pair of Citizen maternity jeans, happy as a clam.  I just got them back from the tailor, and they are perfect.  I'm in love.  Worth every penny to make me still feel cute when I look like a whale.

The next day we went to Old Navy, which was fine.  I tried on a ton of clothes and walked away with some shirts and a pair of skinny jeans.  I think I'm set for a while, until spring comes and I need some short sleeves.  And we returned those awful jeans Motherhood Maternity.  Thanks for the $40 work slacks, but your jeans?  Woof.

Something else we picked up at Masons?  A sequined elastic waistband skirt for our anniversary dinner/New Years Eve.  We went to Bordinos with friends and were home and asleep by 10PM.  Ryan had to talk me out of snuggling with my Citizen maternity jeans.  Best. Anniversary. Present.  Ever.  Can I just say that all jeans should be elastic at the top?  I think there would be less crime and fewer wars, people.  I really do.

Happy happy eight years!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!