Thursday, January 17, 2013

Paint Party - Alli's Room

Well, it's week two of the new year and I'm already behind on one resolution - posting twice a week.  But I did make some pretty good headway on another goal - getting the house decorated!  Builder beige is just not my best color, so it was time to get a little color rolling up in here.  Two weeks ago, Ryan and I started in on our room and bedroom.  I'll post some pics of that later, but my focus here is the most important room in the house.  Once we finished our room, we immediately had to get rolling on Alli's.  With new baby on the way, we needed to get hers wrapped up first.  You can't exactly paint your second child's room before you start on the first one's, can you?

Here's where we started.





Cute little room, but pretty darn blah, huh?  Definitely not reflective of the huge personality who lays down her head there.  So after a week or so of considering paint chips, I decided on Behr's Seafoam Pearl.  It was a subtle blue, high on the color chip.  Enough to change the wall color, but not enough to blind you.  Alli had other ideas though.


She picked Mint Majesty.  I cajoled, but to no avail.  She was adamant.  So I, never one to squelch the wall hue dreams of a color lover (hello, teal living room and hot pink bathroom), did what any good mother would do and caved.  "Two gallons of mint majesty, please."  I mean, I may never have another little girl to paint for.  Who am I to deny teal walls?  When I opened the paint can, I was a little taken aback.  It glowed.  No kidding.  But Alli and I got to work.


Okay, I got to work.  Alli painted our entire family's names on the wall.  I'm pleased to report that Ryan has taken over cutting responsibilities (some new fangled tool he found that he loves), so your girl is back to rolling only.  With a Darth Vader mask, a fan on high, and getting asked four times a minute "Are you okay?  Don't overdo it!"  The joys of pregnancy.  At the end of the night, we ended up with this.




What a difference!  Doesn't it look more like a cheery little girl's room?  I love how a little paint makes the furniture and accessories pop!  We still have a ways to go - curtains, more art, a new dresser...but the walls are ready to rock.

Side note - who are you people who take pictures of your children's rooms where they look pristine without a toy in sight, save maybe an antique wooden rocking horse that's for looking only?  I declare this room as close to pristine as it'll ever be.  I'm just glad I remembered to put up her water glass before I snapped these shots.  Small victories, friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!