Saturday, February 23, 2013

Soccer it to Me!

Today Alli had her first soccer practice.  She's started bugging me in the winter about signing her up for soccer.  I was a little nervous - she's done dance, gymnastics, and horseback riding, but this is an organized team sport.  Plus, at eight with no experience, is she already behind?  Thanks a lot, overachieving moms who put your kids in every single sport imaginable at the earliest possible age, for putting the pressure on me.

But luckily, our city runs a great recreational program, so I signed her up for spring.  Most of the teams were already formed from the fall, but they had some openings.  We got an email from her coach about a week ago giving us all of the information for her practice.  She's been beside herself.  We knew it was going to be pretty cold, so we dropped by Academy last night to get her some tights and a Nike DriFit turtleneck.

Today, she was pumped.  She kept calling it "my big game" even though Ryan reminded her over and over that it was just practice.  We got out to the field, and she knew two people on her team:  Jayden - who is in her class at school - and Georgianna, who is in her Sunday School class at church.

Alli had a great time.  I was really happy that we got the uniforms right when we got there (she had been worried about that), and I was really glad to see that she didn't stick out as the newbie.  Her coach knew her name and was prepared with lots of drills.  There were kids of all skill levels on the team, and Alli certainly didn't stand out as one who had never played before.

Then they scrimmaged with another team, and Alli played goalie for a little while and blocked a goal!  She ran up after practice red-cheeked, winded, and grinning ear to ear.  I am so thrilled her first practice went so well for her, and I can't wait for her first game (next week!!).  But I do need to brush up on my soccer knowledge.  Between the two of us, Ryan and I know next to nothing.  I am sure we'll learn...right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!