Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Egg-cellent Easter

After a rough week last week for our family, we were anxious to get down to Little Rock and celebrate Easter this past weekend.  Easter is not one of my favorite holidays, and I can list a few of those reasons for you:
  1. Easter is inconsistent.  How many times from January to mid-March do you ask people "When is Easter this year?"  Who ever knows when it's going to occur?  What's it based on?  The first Sunday with a full moon after the first day of spring when the tide is high and the Pope turns around three times?  Pick a day, Easter.  Give us another official holiday.
  2. Easter has bad food and entertainment associated with it.  What is tasty about ham and potato salad?  Absolutely nothing.  There's no gravy, there's no casserole, and there's no football.  And there are no presents for me.  Entertainment on Easter?  Hiding eggs in the same place over and over for a kid.  And then letting them hide for you.  Not cool.
  3. Pastels.  We've all read this blog enough to know how much Mama likes bold colors.
  4. Easter is on a Sunday.  Which makes sense, given the reason for the holiday.  But Sunday?  I'm always going to have to travel on Easter.  I'm always going to have to go back to work the next day.  Give me a day off, Easter.
Let's get this straight, though.  I am eternally grateful for the purpose of Easter - having a Risen Lord who sacrified all for my sins.  I love the church hymns associated with Easter.  And I love the new life that comes with Spring.  I'm just not a huge fan of the details surrounding Easter.  But I digress.  We went down to Little Rock to spend some time with the family, and we had a ball coloring our Easter eggs.  I got a kit for Majestic Eggs, and that was awesome.  You put an egg in a sandwich bag, drop some dye in, roll it around and Presto!  Gorgeous marbleized-looking eggs.  We did several regular eggs as well.  We had a good time, and Alli especially seemed to enjoy it.












That next morning, we got up, hunted eggs, and the Easter Bunny left Alli a basketful of goodies.  Hope you all had a wonderful Easter!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment - thanks for reading!